With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, here are 14 Musts for Falling in Love with Québec City…
Must be someone who:
1) Doesn’t mind a little wind in their hair (ok, a lot of wind, and pretty much all the time).
2) Loves traditional Québec cuisine, especially, and most importantly, la poutine (fries, sauce brune (gravy) and cheese curds, oh my!)
3) Is a fan of Celine Dion. You don’t have to be a groupie or tattoo her face on your back, but just embrace the fact that she is the ‘Golden Star’ of Québec.
5) Loves hockey, even small town hockey; and must enthusiastically cheer on Junior Hockey League: Québec Remparts! And must agree that hockey is way more than a hobby, it’s a religion.
5) Likes to take trips to one of the most magical places on earth: la cabane à sucre (translation: sugar shacks); where they make the most wonderful and glorious maple syrup and tire d’erable (maple taffy on a stick – hells yeah!). It’s as if Willy Wonka created his own maple syrup factory! (Delicccious!!).
6) Likes going to live concerts in the summer (Le Festival d’été de Québec), where big names like Stromae (this summer, yay!) come to perform.
7) Be thick-skinned for cold winter days (6 months out of the year) and to stick it out at events like the Winter Carnival!
8) Likes to ski, snowboard, and/or ice skate (all of which make it easier to embrace the winter). One of the best places to appreciate the beauty of Québec City is ice skating around Les Plaines d’Abraham (C’est magnifique!).
9) Blinks at Canada Day and parties like a Rock Star on St. Jean Baptiste Day.
10) Is active and adventurous, but can also relax and curl up beside the fireplace with a nice glass of wine and watch a good Québécois film.
11) Isn’t afraid to look like Bonhomme during the winter; because in Québec, looking like hot stuff in freezing cold, -30 degree weather, goes out the window as quickly as you can say ‘zut alors!’. This is where onesie snowsuits can be seen as smart fashion choices.
12) Can speak French and English. Or a mix of the two is ok as well, like ‘tellement cute’ or ‘c’est cool’ and so on and so forth – Franglais!
13) Likes beer, especially beer brewed in Québec. And hey, it definitely helps to keep you warm on those cold winter days.
14) Is warm, kind, friendly, down-to-earth and is proud to be living in one of the most beautiful cities in Canada. La vie est belle!
If you checked off most of the above, then you are definitely a good match for Québec City 🙂